Jefferson Elder Care
Home Safety Assessment Service for Dementia
Occupational Therapy Dementia Service
Advancing Better Living For Elders (ABLE)
Home Safety Assessment
Jefferson Elder Care offers two primary lines of clinical services for older adults in the Delaware Valley, Dementia Services and Aging in Place Services. Please see details on all services, below, or call (215) 503-6791 or email firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
|I feel like my home is safer and I’m better prepared
to deal with challenging behaviors. I’m happier and
so is Mom.
Caring for a family member with dementia can be difficult. Skills2Care™ is a program to help caregivers manage more effectively. An occupational therapist (OT) visits your home to learn about your care challenges and evaluate the home environment. The OT then develops and helps you implement, a set of care strategies that are customized to address the unique needs and environment of each family. The OT will help you:
- Manage challenging behaviors such as wandering or
- Make your home safer
- Reduce your stress
- Engage your family member in meaningful activities
People with dementia are at high risk for falls and other injuries. Ensuring home safety is an important part of dementia care. An occupational therapist can assess your home and make safety recommendations such as:
- Appropriate bathroom equipment so the person with dementia can be as safe and independent as possible
- Placement of furniture and objects in order to promote a sense of security and easy access to areas that are safe
- Safe storage of medications and other potentially harmful items so they are not used inappropriately
|My wife followed me around the house and it was hard to get anything done. I learned strategies to manage day to day, and things are better now.|
This service is for patients with dementia who have
Medicare Part B and qualify for occupational therapy.
An occupational therapist will visit your home to evaluate the patient. If the patient qualifies for continued therapy, the therapist will return to help improve function in daily activities, teach you skills for caregiving, and make home safety recommendations.
This service includes all elements of both Skills2Care™ and the Home Safety Assessment.
To access this service, you will need a prescription from your family member’s doctor. Please call (215) 503-6791 for details and to schedule an evaluation.
Our ABLE service is for patients living at home, who have difficulty doing daily activities and may be at risk for falls or injury; that have Medicare Part B. An occupational therapist will visit your home to complete an evaluation. If you qualify for continued therapy, the OT will return to help improve daily function and safety.
Home safety is an important component in helping to prevent falls. An occupational therapist can assess your home and make safety recommendations to reduce fall hazards such as:
- Proper lighting and accessible passageways interior and exterior to the home in order to promote safe mobility
- Appropriate bathroom equipment to ensure safety and ease of function when bathing or showering
- Location and storage of daily items (e.g. clothes, kitchen utensils) to promote safe and easy retrieval and use.
To access these services, you will need a prescription from your doctor. Please call (215) 503-6791 for details and to schedule an evaluation.