BS in Occupational Therapy, Utica College of Syracuse University,
MA in Occupational Therapy, University of Southern California,
Los Angles, CA
PhD in Education, Culture and Society, University of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, PA
Fellow, College of Physicians of Philadelphia, 2009
Distinguished Fellow, American Occupational Therapy Association, 1984
Dean, Jefferson School of Health Professions – July 2006 - present
Professor, Department of Occupational Therapy – July 1, 2004 - present
Chair, Department of Occupational Therapy – July 1, 1998 - June 30, 2013
Associate Professor & Chair – July 1, 1999 - June 30, 2004
Assistant Professor & Chair – July 1, 1998 - June 30, 1999
Assistant Professor & Director of Graduate Programs – October, 1996 - June, 1998
Assistant Professor – July, 1988 - October, 1996
Research and Clinical Interests
Understanding the Perspective of Paid Caregivers: The Woods Project Pilot Research. Sept 2012 - present
Supporting Mental Health of African American Elders. J. Burke, Qualitative Researcher. Gitlin, L. Principal Investigator. National Institute of Mental Health. July 1, 2005- June 30, 2010.
Creating and Sustaining Environments for Evidenced Based Practice. J. Burke, Conceptual Developer. Swenson-Miller, K. Principal Investigator. US Department of Health and Human Services. Health Resources and Services Administration (HRSA). July 1, 2005- June 30, 2006.
Tailored Activity to Improve Affect in Dementia at Home. L. Gitlin, Principal Investigator, J. Burke & L. Winter, Co-investigators. National Institute of Mental Health. January 1, 2004 - December 31, 2006.
Preparing Occupational Therapists for Careers in Early Intervention Urban Settings: A Program of Targeted Recruitment and Supported Preservice Preparation for Minority Students. Janice Burke, Project Director. U.S. Department of Education Grants for Pre-service Personnel Training. July 1, 2000 - June 30, 2005 (no cost extension July 1, 2005 - June 30, 2006).
Collaboration and Consultation: Innovative Occupational Therapy Services in Schools. Janice Burke, Project Director. U.S. Department of Education Grants for Pre-service Personnel Training. January 1, 1998 - December 31, 2001.
April 2009 Elected, Chairperson, Professional Program Directors (PRODEC) American Occupational Therapy Association
Awards & Honors
- Eleanor Clarke Slagle Lecturer, American Occupational Therapy Association, 2009
- Service Commendations, American Occupational Therapy Association (2009 Board of Directors, 2006-2009); (2008 Member, Linkages Between Education, Research and Practice Ad Hoc Group, 2006- 2007); (2007
- Member, Health & Wellness Ad Hoc Group, 2006); (2006 Member, Board Research Workgroup, 2005)
- Pennsylvania Occupational Therapy Association Award for Outstanding Achievement, 1999
- Service Award, (Chair, Developmental Disabilities Special Interest Section, 1993-1996), American Occupational Therapy Association, 1996
Burlington Resources Foundation Faculty Achievement Award: Thomas Jefferson University, 1994
- Lindback Award for Distinguished Teaching: Thomas Jefferson University, 1994
- Wilma West Lecturer: University of Southern California, 1989
- A. Jean Ayres Award: American Occupational Therapy Foundation, 1989
Alumni of Achievement Award: Utica College, of Syracuse University, 1987
- Distinguished Fellow, American Occupational Therapy Association, 1984
Who's Who in American Universities and Colleges, January, 1970