Department of Human Resources
Employee Benefits Overview
The Employee Benefits Section of the Department of Human Resources department is responsible for:
- Strategic benefits planning
- Plan administration and management
- Employee benefit services
From a strategic standpoint, we have designed the Jefferson employee benefits programs to:
- Be competitive
- Offer choice to meet individual needs
- Lead by offering plans that reflect the latest benefit trends
- Provide the highest level of services to employees and their families
Benefits are part of your total rewards, representing a large part of your pay. OPT is the Jefferson Flexible Benefits Program which allows you design the best benefits package for you and your family and make the most of your total rewards. We encourage you to read the OPT enrollment guide to learn about each of the benefits and the tax advantages many offer. The next section of this website, titled “employee Benefits” gives an overview of the plans and the sections that follow give more detail on each.
If you have further questions please call the HR Service Center at (215) 503-8100 or HRQuestions@jefferson.edu.
How to get the most out of your employee benefits
- Be informed: Read the e-mails, mail sent to your home and material on the HR web-site
- Be aware: If you receive an OPT election form at home it is giving you important information about your benefits and requires your attention and action (the date the form is due back to HR is printed in the upper right corner of the OPT form)
- Be timely: Government and other legal provisions regulate many of our plans and as a result you must enroll by the deadline printed on the upper right hand corner of your OPT form. We ask you to return your OPT form earlier so that we can get your information to the insurance companies.
- Communicate: Outside of open enrollment in the Fall, you can change plans and/or add/drop dependents only if you have a life event such as marriage, divorce, death, birth, adoption. The change must be done within 30 days of the life event.
- Mark your calendar: to indicate the open enrollment time each year. This is the time you can change plans, add/drop family members, consider new payroll contributions and learn about benefit changes