Department of Human Resources
Employee Relations & Practices
Learn more about
The Employee Relations team serves over 12,000 employees within Thomas Jefferson University, Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, and JUP. Our primary function is to assist management and staff in fostering and enhancing a professional environment to create and maintain the optimum employee relations climate for fulfillment of Jefferson's missions.
Our Core Functions & Responsibilities Include:
- Consulting with management personnel in areas such as policy interpretation, disciplinary actions, grievance administration, compliance with collective bargaining agreements and equal employment opportunity matters.
- Providing assistance to employees on a variety of employee relations issues, including referral to appropriate sources to facilitate resolution of employee problems.
- Reviewing and making appropriate recommendations regarding Human Resources policies and procedures.
- Providing support related to management of personnel covered by collective bargaining agreements, including:
- Assisting with contract interpretation.
- Negotiating collective bargaining agreements.
- Preparing arbitration cases.
- Conducting investigations of Third Step bargaining and non-bargaining grievances and Compliance complaints, including recommendations for disposition.
- Presenting supervisory and managerial training.
- Providing information and guidance regarding employee assistance programs.
- Conducting investigations of internal and external employment-based discrimination complaints and coordinating responses.
- Preparing and timely filing governmental reports.
- Coordinating compliance with the Reductions in Force policy.
- Unemployment Compensation administration.