Office of International Affairs (OIA)
Steps for J-1 Student Academic Training
Submit the following to OIA:
Step 1: Complete "Request for DS-2019 (formerly IAP-66) Extension (J-1 Status)." Write "ACADEMIC TRAINING" in the Program Information area of this form.
Step 2: Let OIES know in writing what (if any) period of Academic Training (J-1 student employment) you have used in the past.
Step 3: Present a written recommendation from your academic advisor that includes:
- Verification that the student is in good academic standing as a full-time student
- The goals and objectives of the specific training program
- A description of the training program, including its location, the name and address of the training supervisor, number of hours per week, and dates of the training
- How the training relates to the students major field of study
- Why it is an integral or critical part of the academic program of the exchange visitor studen
Step 4: Obtain an offer letter describing the proposed academic training
Step 5: Once you have submitted a complete Academic Training request to OIES, schedule an appointment to meet with an OIES staff member to pick up your Academic Training documents. This process usually can take place within 10-15 working days.
Download Sample Letters for Academic Training
Return to J-1 Students