Office of International Affairs (OIA)
Transfer a New J-1 Scholar from Another
Institution in the U.S.
1. DEPARTMENT COMPLETES DS-2019 REQUEST FORM
APPLICATION FORM THE DS-2019 CERTIFICATE OF ELIGIBILITY FORM:
- DEPARTMENT PORTION (Adobe PDF fillable)
- APPLICANT PORTION (PDF fillable)
- CERTIFICATION LETTER (only for scholar candidates with M.D.'s)
(If there will be incidental patient contact, please contact OIA for the appropriate template)
Complete the Department Portion (pp. 1-2) of DS-2019 Request
Have the applicant fill-out page 3 of the application
INVITATION LETTER: The letter must include a statement that the scholar will continue to do research in the area in which they originally intended when they first entered the U.S. in the J-1 status (e.g. if they entered the U.S. as a J-1 at another institution with the DS-2019 subject area of "Immunology," the scholar is not permitted to change the subject area to "Neuroscience" at Jefferson if the research is unrelated).
For scholars paid by Jefferson, please include a COPY of the PAR.
If the scholar candidate is a medical doctor, the department must attach a signed certification printed on department letterhead (download template above; make changes in the bracketed areas)
Include all of the accompanying documents
Send the application and the accompanying documents to OIA
2. OTHER INSTITUTION TRANSFERS J-1 RECORD TO JEFFERSON
The J-1 Scholar must speak with their other institution to initiate the transfer of their immigration record to Thomas Jefferson University.
3. DEPARTMENT MAKES CHECK-IN APPOINTMENT WITH OIA
The department must be in contact with the scholar so that when he or she arrives, they can contact OIA to set up an appointment for check-in and orientation. The scholar must bring the following documents to the check-in:
- I-94 Form (small white or green card)
- DS-2019 Forms (and family's DS-2019 if accompanied)
- Health insurance information
4. OIA ISSUES ACTUAL DS-2019 FORM
OIA will issue the actual Form DS-2019 when the transfer record is received and when the scholar checks-in