The Jefferson Department of Radiology is one of 18 clinical departments in the Jefferson Medical College. The medical school, one of the oldest in the nation, was founded in 1824 and is part of Thomas Jefferson University, a medical and health sciences educational institution. Today the Jefferson Department of Radiology is one of the most respected and highly regarded academic departments in the country. The Department is subspecialty based, performing approximately 515,000 exams per year. The Departments’ mission of academic excellence, exceptional clinical expertise, and superior service to patients and clients is based on a strategic plan of early adoption of advanced imaging technology, innovative use of information technology, streamlined and efficient administration, and attracting and retaining the best technical and professional radiology talent.
The department is based in Thomas Jefferson University Hospital, a 717 bed tertiary and quaternary care hospital in center city Philadelphia. It also services the Jefferson Hospital for Neurosciences and Methodist Hospital, part of the Jefferson Hospital system. Outpatient services are provided in two imaging centers in the vicinity of the University Hospital and for several remote ambulatory imaging centers.
Department administration is supported by Vice Chairs for clinical practice, education and research. The clinical practice is organized around 9 subspecialty divisions, each with its own director. In addition, there is direct physician involvement in the administration of ancillary services such as information technology, quality and safety and strategic planning.
Other professional staff within the department include 38 residents, 19 fellows, 180 radiology technologists, 3 physician assistants and 18 nurses.